i was just getting used to having this lil baby in my life and before i knew it, her first birthday was approaching. as the date creeped up in the midst of me being in my overwhelming experience as a mummy, i was late sending out the invites so i started with a "save the date" note...
...and then the party planner in me went wild ;) the colour theme was brown & pink and the overall decor was based on bears & blocks. i'll let the pictures tell the story...
- the invites -
It's a very special birthday
for a very special girl,
One year ago this day,
Zaleia Ilaika came into our world.
With her happy smile & cheeky ways
She's brought us joy, laughter & love,
Our cuddly Ilaika-bear is a beautiful gift
specially sent from up above.
Now the apple of our eye
is turning one,
With you around
it'll be so much fun!
- the decor -
- the party packs & gifts-
- mummy me a.k.a. the party planner & the birthday princess -
looking at the pics now, i guess i did go a little overboard with the whole setup up and guest list of 70 adults & 30 kids ;) but oh well, she's only one once!
just a few things to remember for the next party i organise:
- design invites early, especially if it's a complicated block that takes forever to construct & put together...so say, 2 months is a good headstart, to avoid going to bed at 4am for a few weeks before the invites are due!
- have a trial run for the birthday cake, especially if it's the first time playing with a type of decor...in this case fondant. also avoid baking & decorating at 4pm the night before the party. much better to start at least a couple of days ahead...
- coax family & friends to come early & help with decor!
- a one year old is just happy to have familiar toys around her which kinda defeats the whole party anyways ;) but at least when she grows up & looks at the pics, she'll think she had a fab first birthday!
last but not least, after weeks of cutting & sticking and calling & planning, make sure friends stick around after the party to help you unwind over that much-needed drink ;)